samedi 18 avril 2015

What I like to have in future versions of ExtJS

Am not aware how sencha collects its feedback from customers to create its roadmap. I am sure they do it time to time, but for those of us who dont get to voice their openion/concerns, here is a thread.



I originally put this in another thread where I got some upvotes and some concerns. Someone suggested to have it as a seperate thread and then discuss it over,



So here is a list what I like to See in next versions of ExtJs, you can agree/disagree add more, remove some


  • Drop Ext.Define and extend and use ES 6 Class syntax (I like to code in pure JS it also helps me to port some awsome JS solution from stackoverflow into my Apps, so keeping the framework more inline with JavaScript will surely help, Also moving on to ES6 syntax dont mean to drop IE8 you have Ext6 for it )

  • Use HTML Modules for dependency management (and remove require style dependecy handling)

  • Drop XTemplate and use HTML Template and String Templates

  • May be their widgets can now be converted to WebComponents

  • Remove callbacks and use promises / async functions

  • Use TypeScript in source - Dont supply a definition file which is seperate from the source (I know some sencha forum manager hate it "personaly" but they need to visit their openion again, for me who often browse Ext sources to get deeper understanding having type definition will be an great help, also you dont need to create plugins for various IDEs)

  • I like Sencha's Data package a lot. its much better than Ember-Data, Breeze.js or JS-Data but provide us a way to design adapters so that I can connect outside-data packages to Sencha widgets. (Some of these data packages are doing pretty rapid and innovative development like cloud sync and introducing new features more often, I am afraid sencha's data package may lag behind)

  • Use more open source products in their tooling (for instance instead of creating their own SASS compiler - "Fashion" they could have used Stylus , I may be wrong here i dont know about "Fashion" it may be doing more than what stylus have to offer- but in that case they should produce it as open source so that we get community contributions )

  • Use Gulp/Grunt instead of providing us Sencha Cmd (it will help me make use of so many plugins out there to automate/customize my builds, or keep the Sencha Cmd and switch over from ant to gulp/grunt enabling us to use community plugins )

  • Provide open package management solution - JSPM, NPM etc

  • Make ExtJS more porous to outside world rather than a monolithic framework and keep us locked inside their walled gardens

  • Start thinking about unit testing solutions (provide a way for dependency injection)

  • I dont know much on Sencha's 2-Way data binding but I what I read is that 2 Way data binding has more cons than pros

  • Their SVG api needs some serious updates (its pretty much behind than some of the compititors)

  • Some of the best thing that ilike to mention about sencha are

    • ​Documentation

    • Themeing

    • Data Package

    • Their API too is very nice or may be i got too comfortable with it that i dont like others




Well having said that i think my ask is a little far cry, and may not fit well with sencha's investors, but anyways I wanted to let them know.











What I like to have in future versions of ExtJS

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire